Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Review: The Drosten's Curse

The Drosten's Curse By A.L. Kennedy
Publisher: Penguin Random House
Release Date:  July 14th, 2015
Source: Blogging for Books
Format: Paperback, 361 pages

My Rating: ★★★★


From award-winning author A.L. Kennedy, an original Doctor Who novel featuring the beloved Fourth Doctor, as played by Tom Baker.
“I shall make you the jewel at the heart of the universe.”
 
Something distinctly odd is going on in Arbroath. It could be to do with golfers being dragged down into the bunkers at the Fetch Brothers’ Golf Spa Hotel, never to be seen again. It might be related to the strange twin grandchildren of the equally strange Mrs Fetch–owner of the hotel and fascinated with octopuses. It could be the fact that people in the surrounding area suddenly know what others are thinking, without anyone saying a word.
 
Whatever it is, the Doctor is most at home when faced with the distinctly odd. With the help of Fetch Brothers’ Junior Receptionist Bryony, he’ll get to the bottom of things. Just so long as he does so in time to save Bryony from quite literally losing her mind, and the entire world from destruction.
 
Because something huge, ancient and alien lies hidden beneath the ground and it’s starting to wake up…

If you like Doctor Who (Classic or reboot) this is definitely a book for you. It has all the same quirkiness of The Doctor we have come to love, and the adventure that is in every episode of this delightful TV show. I didn't start watching Who until the reboot with Christopher Eccleston, so reading about Tom Baker's Doctor did take me out of my element. I know that he is beloved by lots of fans, so I know a lot of them will enjoy this book. For me I found it hard to get used to his style, and I think it prevented me from really connecting with the character in the book.

I actually struggled a lot with this book, but in the end I did come to enjoy it. I think for me, the beginning of the novel was kind of slow paced. Even though the first couple of chapters has someone getting eaten by a golf bunker. I think the writing style made it dull at times. I didn't really get into the story until Bryony and Putta finally entered the TARDIS and the action of the story started to beef up. One of other things that bothered me (and this just might be me) was the dialogue was in single quotes. It annoyed me so much! Maybe this is a preference thing, maybe this is just me being an American, but I just couldn't stand that stylist choice.

If you are familiar with the TV show, this book does bring about the same kind of themes. The Doctor is trying to stop a creature much like himself. A lonely, last of their kind creature whom is just trying to figure out humans. Or eat them. So it's almost like the monster The Doctor faces is a foil or mirror to himself. I like that this particular fandom is still trying to figure out if The Doctor is a good man or not, and I like that the unanswered question is still being asked. This story also explores second chances. A lot of the characters in the book get second chances on life, but some of them prove that not everyone is going to take them to heart. Some people will turn into the same type of person they once were. I think that's a really good lesson about humankind, and I thought it was a really nice subtle message to put into the novel.

All in all, spite my finicky issues, this was a really enjoyable book. It has all the action and wit needed for a Doctor Who book.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.


Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow