Thursday, August 13, 2015

Audiobook Review: Abhorsen

Abhorsen By Garth Nix
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date:  January 7th, 2003
Source: Library
Format: Audiobook narrated by Tim Curry

My Rating: ★★★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon  B&N ★ The Book Depository


The Ninth was strong
and fought with might,
But lone Orannis
was put out of the light,
Broken in two
and buried under hill,
Forever to lie there,
wishing us ill.
So says the song. But Orannis, the Destroyer, is no longer buried under hill. It has been freed from its subterranean prison and now seeks to escape the silver hemispheres, the final barrier to the unleashing of its terrible powers.

Only Lirael, newly come into her inheritance as the Abhorsen-in-Waiting, has any chance of stopping the Destroyer. She and her companions -- Sam, the Disreputable Dog, and Mogget -- have to take that chance. For the Destroyer is the enemy of all Life, and it must be stopped, though Lirael does not know how.

To make matters worse, Sam's best friend, Nick, is helping the Destroyer, as are the necromancer Hedge and the Greater Dead Chlorr, and there has been no word from the Abhorsen Sabriel or King Touchstone.

Everything depends upon Lirael. A heavy, perhaps even impossible burden for a young woman who just days ago was merely a Second Assistant Librarian. With only a vision from the Clayr to guide her, and the rather mixed help of her companions, Lirael must search in both Life and Death for some means to defeat the Destroyer.

Before it is too late. . .
 

Honestly? I don't know how I feel right now, because now this series is over! And I am sad, because I really enjoyed this trilogy. I know that Nix recently put out a prequel to the series, but I don't know how I would feel about not reading about Sabriel or Lirael or Mogget. If someone tells me Mogget is in Clariel I will read it. So I think I'm just a little hungover from this series, because I really enjoyed the ride but now that it's over, I don't know what to do with myself.

I actually think I liked the final installment better than the second book. I think it was hard to go from Sabriel's story in the first book to twenty years later. It took some getting used to Lirael, and it took a long time for the plot to tell you how they related to each other. So as much as I enjoyed the last one, I felt like it was kind of a filler. The second book didn't end in a big battle like the first book, and like this one did, so I think the final book made me realize things that were missing before. Like the first novel in the series there was a lot of action in this one and it ends again in an epic battle.

We get a lot of reveals in this book, especially when it came to Mogget and the disreputable dog. I didn't really see that sort of thing coming, but it made complete sense in retrospect. I loved both the animal characters the most. They were my favorite! I just kind of wanted more of Sabriel. The series turned into more about Lirael, which was fine but it's almost like the first novel was the prequel.

I'm not sure how I felt about the epilogue. It seemed like the author wasn't sure if he was going to write more about things happening in the Old Kingdom. I could definitely see the story continuing, and I would love to check in with Sam to see how he is doing as a wallmaker. Or see if Lirael has become the Abhorsen yet.

All in all, I really enjoyed this series and if you are a lover of high fantasy I would highly recommend it.

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow