Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Celebrate Diversity


Whoa it's been a long time since I did a Top Ten Tuesday post. I think I'm still behind from my move so I haven't really gotten back into the swing of things yet. As always TTT is hosted by the lovely bloggers at The Broke and The Bookish. This week's topic is books that celebrate diversity. I love this topic, because um...there needs to be more diversity especially in YA, so I like to point out books that depict a diverse set of characters.


The Red Pyramid By Rick Riordan

Sadie and Carter are biracial, and there are little hints of how it affects both of their identities in different ways. Sadie could pass for white and she finds that people are always giving her looks when she is with her father and brother. For Carter he has always felt this pressure to act a certain way as a kid of color. These are minor things in the overall adventure story, but I really loved that Riordan brings it up in this middle grade book.


Tithe By Holly Black

This is an older book, but it is still one of my favorites and it is one of the first YA novels I read at the time that had a non-white protagonist. It really made me think about how white the genre was.


Cinder By Marissa Meyer

Cinder is set in a futurist China, which in itself was an awesome choice, as most dystopias are set in some weird future America. It's also believed that Cinder herself would look asian, and Winter who we've met briefly is written as dark-skinned. I definitely think Meyer did a job good of trying to include different types of people because Levana trying to take over would affect ALL people of Earth.


Unwind by Neal Shusterman
Unwind had a cast of characters that came from different socioeconomic, religious and ethic backgrounds. I think that was the point, because the situation in that book effect EVERYONE.

Ironside By Holly Black

Maybe this is cheating because this is the final installment of the Modern Faerie Tale series, but I also wanted to include this one because it was also one of the first YA novels I read that had gay characters in it. 



Rat Queens By Kurtis Wiebe

Rat queens includes both racially diverse and gay characters in this graphic novel series. Also a lot of different types of mythical creatures. I think it does a good job of showing us a diverse gang.



Beauty Queens By Libba Bray

I've talked about this book before, and man, it was not what I was expecting at all. This book is very much a feminist book, but also highlights the challenges non-white characters face in a very white dominated world. The book also features some great LGBTQ characters. 



The Lost Hero By Rick Riordan

The first book of Riordan's second mythology series was written in multiple perspective so he included more diversity with his band of adventurers. I loved how much he tried to include characters of various ethnic and racial backgrounds. I think it really showed a progression in his writing style.


Grasshopper Jungle By Andrew Smith

This book is so freaking weird, and I'm still not sure if it was about the protagonist coming to terms with his sexuality or if it was a some weird apocalypse novel that just happened to discuss sexuality in the subplot. 



The Girl in the Road By Monica Byrne

I wouldn't really consider this one "diverse" but I'm including it on this list because it's a novel that takes place in India & Ethiopia and the majority of the characters are people of color. I can't remember but I don't really think there were any white people in this one. I liked that about it, and I also enjoyed that it explored a different culture than my own.  

What books are on your list this week?

Happy Reads Everyone!