Thursday, July 16, 2015

Audiobook Review: Ready Player One


My Rating:
★★★★★

Yo!!!! This freaking book!!!

So I don't know why I put off this book for so long, but I have to say that I really enjoyed this one and I loved listening to Wil Wheaton narrate it. This is a book I know that I will definitely reread via text, but I am glad I got to experience Wheaton's narration. I thought he was the perfect narrator for Wade. I actually started to forget that this was a narrator and not Wade actually telling me what was going on in the OASIS.

I'm not a big gamer, but I did spend several summers in the arcade at the campground where my grandparents had a permanent trailer. I mostly played pinball, but when I wasn't on the pinball machine I was hooked onto the X-men coin operated game. That shit was my jam. So I think for that reason I genuinely enjoyed that this book talked a lot about old arcade games, and gave a lot of history about gaming consoles, old games and dungeons and dragons. It actually made me want to start playing Dungeons & Dragons. I'm not kidding.

I loved the start of the novel because I just wanted to continue reading to find out more about Wade's life. Wade doesn't have the best home life, so I had a lot of empathy for him. I could understand why a kid like him would want to bury himself in the OASIS. I also just wanted to see if Wade could crack Halliday's puzzles. BUT THEN!!! The book turned into this crazy dystopia with Wade and his friends trying to take down this organization set on controlling the world. AND IT WAS AWESOME!

I loved the ending of the novel, because I was constantly bitting my nails to find out what was going to happen. Was Wade going to take down IOI or would the Sixers destroy everything? The ending is tied up all nice in a little box, which I actually wanted out of this one, so if you like that sort of thing I would recommend this one.

I think even if you aren't a big gamer, you will find something to like about it. The novel is filled to the brim with pop culture references that I think a lot of people will get a nice chuckle out of some lines. I think my favorite was the fact that at one point Wil Wheaton is talking about how Wil Wheaton is a geezer. It was so meta it made me laugh.

I HIGHLY recommend this one.

Happy Reads Everyone!