Friday, July 31, 2015

Audiobook Review: Lirael



Lirael: Daughter of The Clayr By Garth Nix
Publisher: Listening Library (HarperCollins)
Release Date:  May 2002
Source: Library Overdrive App
Format: Audiobook read by Tim Curry

My Rating: ★★★★



Goodreads Amazon B&N The Book Depository

Lirael has never felt like a true daughter of the Clayr. Abandoned by her mother, ignorant of her father's identity, Lirael resembles no one else in her large extended family living in the Clayr's glacier. She doesn't even have the Sight, the ability to See into the present and possibly futures, that is the very birthright of the Clayr.

Nonetheless, it is Lirael in whose hands the fate of the Old Kingdom lies. She must undertake a desperate mission under the growing shadow of an ancient evil, one that opposes the Royal Family, blocks the Sight of the Clayr, and threatens to break the very boundary between Life and Death itself. With only her faithful companion, the Disreputable Dog to help her, Lirael must find the courage to seek her own hidden destiny
Lirael is the sequel to Garth Nix's Sabriel but it is set about twenty years in the future where Touchstone has regained his throne and Sabriel has taken over the duties of the Abhorsen. But this book isn't really about them, I mean they show up in it, but it is really about Lirael, a young girl who has lived her whole life wishing for the sight of the Clayr. Although I really enjoyed this book, I was kind of disappointed that Sabriel wasn't in it that much. I also would have loved to have more about what she has been up to since the end of her novel.

Tim Curry does the narration on the audiobook again for the sequel, which I was so glad, because it would have been weird hearing someone else doing Mogget's voice. I also just started the third book in the series and he is also doing the audiobook for it. YAY! Curry is an amazing voice actor, and I really want to listen to him narrate some more novels. 

Lirael is such a relatable character, because she spends her whole life never fitting in or feeling like she belongs. I am freaking 25 and I still feel that way sometimes. I really think that teens and even adults whom are still struggling to find themselves will really connect with this character. You just want her to get the sight! Like Sabriel, Lirael has a animal form that helps her in her adventure--the disreputable dog. At one point in the story, dog and Mogget actually meet and it was one of my favorite scenes in the novel. Naturally they hate each other.

I really thought for sure that Lirael and Sameth were going to have some weird romance and I'm so glad that didn't happen. I don't think her story needed that. Towards the end I started to put together all the pieces of who Lirael really was, and I'm surprised it took me so long to figure it out. The only problem with this one is that it kind of ends on a cliffhanger with things unresolved, so I'm so glad I have the next audiobook queued up already. I'm excited to find out if Lirael and Sam can defeat Hedge and his strange evil master.

If you liked Sabriel, I would highly recommend continuing with the second novel. It's great for anyone who loves high fantasy.


Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow