Thursday, June 4, 2015

Review: #Scandal


My Rating:
★★★★

#Scandal by Sarah Ockler seems like a hit or miss book based on other reviews I've read, but I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I might be a bit biased because I am a huge fan of Sarah Ockler's books. I liked this book because it had romance, mystery and redemption that made it impossible for me to put it down!

The core of the plot is that Lucy is framed for embarrassing photos from a prom after party getting posted to her facebook page as part of a #scandal contest a facebook gossip page Miss Demeanor is running. The problem is that Lucy lost her phone and she did not post the photos. That doesn't seem to matter because she kissed her best friend's boyfriend so none of her friends are speaking to her, and she has been ostracized by the rest of her classmates. 

I think that the reasons why some people might not like this one is because it does come off as a cautionary tale for how to use social media. Even so, I think it's a good cautionary tale because I think some young people just don't realize that what they put on the internet is forever. I think it shows a lot of what is wrong with our society, not only with the technology crutches but how Lucy is slut shamed and bullied by other girls. The book had a lot of scenes with girls tearing each other down so it might have turned other people off, but I think that was the point Ockler was trying to get across, so I enjoyed it for that reason.

What I liked most about this book was the mystery, and there was actually two in this one. Who is the mysterious Miss Demeanor that started the #Scandal contest and gossip column specific to Lucy's school? And who took her phone and framed her? When reading this I tried to remember wise words from Dwight K. Schrute: It's always the person you most medium suspect.


So did I get it right? About who framed Lucy I was right, but not about who turned out to be Miss Demeanor. I had my suspicious but I thought it was too obvious, but then once the pieces all fell together I was kicking myself! I adored the mystery in this book because it made me want to keep on reading to find out who done it.

One thing I also really liked about this book is that although the end seems like everything is wrapped up nice in a little bow, it's not. Lucy's relationship with Ellie and Griffin is not patched up, and I thought that was nice way to make the novel more realistic. When you hurt a friend it takes time to fix things, so I liked that Lucy still had to make amends even after she had solved the mystery of her facebook scandal. Relationships are hard work and everything couldn't have been resolved with just a sorry.

If you like a good mystery I would highly recommend this one. 


Happy Reads Everyone!