Thursday, June 11, 2015

Graphic Novel Review: This One Summer


My Rating:
★★★★

So...I got this book from the library last night and read the entire thing in between commercials and intermission periods while I was watching the Stanley Cup Final. I really did not anticipate that at all, especially since this is my book club's pick for June and we don't meet until the 27th! But I will say that I blew through this one because it was such a short and easy read.

So first let's talk about how the art in this one wasn't the typical black and white that you see in a lot of graphic novels. This one had a bluish-purple tint to it which I think was perfect for a book about Summer. I also really liked that this one was set in Canada, which I only really picked up on because Rose's dad is rocking his Maple Leafs jersey at one point. Ah! I loved that! I don't get the opportunity to read a lot of books that aren't set in America, so I always relish when I get to read a story in a different setting.

So I say this story was an easy read, but by no means was it a "light" read. No, this one had some really dark themes to it. There is a lot of family drama in this one between Rose's parents because her Mom tried to have another baby and can't, so there is a lot tension. I thought at times Rose was a little over the top with her feelings about the situation, but I also think that it was realistic.

There is also drama going on in the beach town they are visiting. The cute boy at the general store has gotten a girl pregnant and this puts a strain on Rose and her friend Windy's relationship because they had some different views about it. Rose was basically slut shamming the girl, which really bothered me so I was glad that Windy calls her out on it. I really liked Rose's friend Windy. She was so hyper and funny that I just wanted to be her friend. She's definitely a character that marched to her own drummer. There was a lot of build up that her and Rose would have a falling out at some point, so I was really glad that didn't really happen.

I think I wanted a bit more out of this book at the end, but overall I was pretty happy with it. I think it really summed up summer well, it was short and sweet and ended way earlier than you wanted it to.


Happy Reads Everyone!