Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Audiobook Review: Heir of Fire


My Rating:
★★★1/2

Okay so first and foremost let's talk about how a 3 1/2 star rating does not mean a book was bad! I liked the third installment of the Throne of Glass series, but for some reason it didn't completely wow me like the first two did. I think part of the reason is because I did it through audio. I think I fried my brain with audiobooks, and I think HOF was a victim of it. I found myself daydreaming in my car and not really paying attention, so I think a lot of things got lost on me. So let's keep that in mind, because I really think I would have liked this one better had I actually sat down to read the book.

It wasn't that the audiobook was bad. The only thing that bothered me was that when she said, "Adarlan" it sounded like she was saying "otterland" and I was so confused at first. I actually think the narrator did a really good job. I think she really had Celaena's voice down well. When the book started I was thinking, "Yes! That is exactly what C would sound like!" I also think she did a good job with the other characters like Manon and Chaol, two characters that couldn't be more different if they tried. Like I said above, I think I'm tired of audiobooks and I need a break from them.

I loved the action in this book! It was really well written and I was glad we got to learn more about Celaena's background in this one. I was really glad it got into the magic aspect more than the last two as well. So I'm excited to see Celaena continue to kick ass and take names to destroy the King of Adarlan.

This book was a lot different than the last two because it didn't just focus on Celaena and maybe that's why I didn't like it quite as much. I was still interested in Chaol and Dorian's story, but I was so suspicious of Sorscha that I didn't really care about her. I also didn't really give a shit about Manon and the witch clan story. I know it was a huge part of the plot, but I couldn't connect with her or any of her coven so I just didn't really care about that. I wanted to just skip over them to get back to Celaena's story.

So by all means I didn't dislike this book, it was just a lot different from the other two so it was hard to get used to. I am still excited for the next one which is supposed to be published in September. I'll definitely be reading that one in book form instead of the audio.


Happy Reads Everyone!