Monday, June 15, 2015

ARC Review: Girl At Midnight


My Rating:
★★★★★

Okay so....I totally wanted to read this ARC back in April BEFORE this book was released, but prior to reading this I read Magonia and I wasn't really a fan of it. So when I started this one and it also had "bird people" in it, I thought it was best to put it down for a bit and pick it up later. I didn't want my perceptions of this book to be affected by another book I didn't particular enjoy as much as I thought I would. So when I picked this up again, I realized that was a really smart move because I ended up really enjoying this one!

So I have seen a mix of opinions on this one, with some reviewers not really liking it and one of the reasons is because it sounds too much like Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I will agree that it has some of the same themes--star-crossed lovers, war between two different mythical beings, some form of reincarnation--but I think the similarities is what made me like it. I also think that the Avicen and the Drakharin are quite different from the creatures in Laini Taylor's series, so I think the plot was different enough for me to enjoy both.

So all that aside, what really made me like the book other than the description of the creatures was Echo herself. She was so fricking funny, that I found myself literally laughing out loud. I love characters whom mask their pain with humor, so Echo definitely became a favorite for me. I was rooting for her the whole time, but I actually thought the Drakharin were more interesting than the Avicen. Is that bad? For me "dragon people" was a cooler concept than "bird people."

There is a level of predictable in this novel, but I don't think it took away my love for it. I called it when Echo started to feel things she shouldn't for Caius. I also wasn't sold on Rowan as a love interest, so I guess that was why I was okay with this. I also figured out where they would find the Firebird before they did. Even though I saw the ending coming a mile away, it didn't make me enjoy the book any less. I think I just read too much fantasy that I tend to see these things before I should!

I think if you did like Daughter of Smoke and Bone I would still recommend this book to you. I think they have similar themes, but they are NOT the same book. If you have an interest in any sort of fantasy with mythical non-human creatures I would also highly recommend this one.


Happy Reads Everyone!