Saturday, May 23, 2015

Graphic Novel Review: Essential Marvel Saga Volumes 1 & 2



My Rating:
★★★ 1/2

I feel like I am really behind on all the books that I've been planning to read, and I have to blame the Essential Marvel Saga for this. Let me tell you just because these two are comics, does not mean they are quick reads. Both of these books are 300+ pages of comic book excerpts. So yes, it took me a really long time to complete these.

So the Marvel Saga is really cool, because if you don't know a lot about the Marvel Universe it does give you a lot of background. The first volume focuses a lot on the origin stories of the Fantastic Four, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, the first Avengers, etc. I know a lot about the MU but I found this made me understand a lot more. So I really enjoyed the first volume, because I got to learn more about the superheroes that I love.

The second volume goes into more detail and introduces a lot of new characters, like Scarlet Witch and QuickSilver. It also goes into the whole humans vs. inhumans conflict. It was really cool to get all this background, but I found that the second volume really dragged on. For example the book would go back and forth between heroes but when they would get back to say Spiderman they would explain to me for like the 100th time how Peter Parker became Spiderman. Dudes, I get it, I read this 300 pages ago. I also wanted more on the X-men, like we didn't even met Wolverine in either of these volumes. 

At times I also found copyediting errors in the books. Sometimes a line of text was copied so it was there twice. It wasn't in the panels itself, but within in the text around it that would explain certain things. I thought that was kind of sloppy, and it really bothered me. 

Despite some issues, I did enjoy the Essential Marvel Saga and I think it's great if you don't know a lot of the origin stories. I just found it to be a little repetitive at times so it was hard for me to get through it.


Happy Reads Everyone!