Monday, May 11, 2015

Audiobook Review: Sabriel


I had originally planned to post this later this week but then I saw Epic Read's post about the 20th anniversary of Sabriel. So it seems more appropriate to post it now!

My Rating:
★★★★

So...before we actually talk about what I thought about this book let's talk about the fact that Tim Curry was the narrator! You know... this guy!


but also this guy



So yes, I was super excited that Curry was doing the narration for this audiobook. He is awesome, and I love him. And no, I did not hear Niguel Thornberry while listening to this one. Curry did a really good job with this one and I would like to listen to him narrate everything. I'm not kidding.

So this book was really interesting. I had not heard of Garth Nix's Abhorsen series until last year when Clariel was released, so I wanted to read the series from the start. I haven't read a lot of books about necromancy, so it was an interesting topic. I think Curry's narration really made Mogget come alive. So now if I read the others in physical form I will just hear his voice in my head. 

One of the things that was different in this book than other high fantasy series was that it straddled different time periods. The Old Kingdom is set in a medieval-esque world, but Ancelstierre was set in a relatively modern time-period. It ended up throwing me for a loop at times, because I would forget Ancelstierre was more modern and all of a sudden there was a mention of a bus. I was thinking, "Wait, what? Oh!" I don't think I've read a lot of fantasy books like that, so it was really refreshing.

I also enjoyed that Sabriel was an older teen, but yet she still had her whole life ahead of her while she is forced into this adventure. She was also a badass that got the job done, and I really liked that about her. I just didn't really see much to the romance between her and Touchstone, I felt like it was a little one sided, but maybe it develops later in the series.

The only thing that was hard with this audiobook was that at times I kept losing my focus. It wasn't because this was boring or that Curry's narration was bad, I think I was just having a hard time paying attention. So I think for the next book I'm going to actually read it and try to pay attention.


Happy Reads Everyone!