Friday, May 22, 2015

Audiobook Review: Odd Thomas


So confession time, I watched the movie based on this book before I got around to reading it. I know, I'm terrible, but it's the boyfriend's fault. We were looking for something to watch on Netflix, and he says, "Oh! I watched this weird movie, I think you would like it!" He knows me too well, because I loved Odd Thomas, but I was so pissed that I didn't know it was a book!

I have never read anything by Dean Koontz, but for the first in the Odd Thomas series, I went with listening to the audiobook. I really enjoyed the narrator on this one. I thought he really got Odd's personality down, but it was hard for me to listen to it without seeing Anton Yelchin in my head. It wasn't that big of a problem, because the movie adaptation is one of the best I have ever seen. Some things were changed in the movie version, but for the most part the general plot of was true to the book. So seeing Yelchin as Odd wasn't that big of the deal. And...um he's adorable so I'm okay with that. Also I read that the director wasn't going to do the movie unless he could get Yelchin, and Koontz loved the movie! That's a rarity.

So yes, great movie adaptation but what about the book itself? Okay this book was awesome. If you like ghost stories I highly recommend it. Odd's philosophy on life and his general attitude about his ability really made the book so interesting. He was just this guy who happened to see ghosts, and by god he was going to do something about it. I actually didn't mind that I already knew how the first book ended, because I was kept guessing. I kept thinking that maybe the book ended differently and they changed it for the movie. So it was nice to be in a little bit of suspense. 

If you like Meg Cabot's Mediator Series, read this freaking series. Odd is like the male version of Suze Simon. Seriously, I think that's why I liked this novel so much. It's part ghost story, part detective story, but also super sad! So be forewarned about that one. I'm really excited to start reading the rest of the series now!


Happy Reads Everyone!