Friday, April 24, 2015

Fairytale Retelling: Fairest Review


Wow look at me go! I'm making some good progress on the Fairytale Challenge this spring, as this marks the 7th book I've read towards this challenge. 


My Rating:
★★★★

Fairest is the prequel to the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. It is the origin story of Queen Levana and explains to the reader how she became the evil queen that she is. Spoiler alert, she was kind of always evil. At least that's how it came off to me.

I have to admit I didn't like this book as much as I liked the other books in this series. I think this is something about me, and not an overall feeling about the book. I just really hate Levana. Even though she had some terrible things done to her, I think she was just always this manipulative bitch that twists her evil doings into thinking she is doing everything for the greater good of her people. She got power hungry and angry and she did unspeakable things to a man she claimed to love and to her own niece.

So even though I hate the character, Meyer still writes so well and weaved such an interesting tale that I ended up giving it 4 stars instead of the 3.5 I would have normally given it. Although I don't particularly like Levana, I still think her origin story was really interesting. The book did explain a lot about her personality and it did solve a lot of questions that I had from the earlier books. We also got to see how Winter came to be the Lunar Princess, which I think is something we'll need to know once Winter comes out. Although, I assume it will be explained in the beginning of that novel.

So it's not that I hated this book, it just didn't wow me like the other three did. I still think it was a really enjoyable read that was easy to get through.

If you like villain origin stories and want to know about Cinder's early childhood life, I would recommend reading this book. However, I don't think it hurts if you skip this one and just read the other three novels.

What did you think of this prequel novel?


Happy Reads Everyone!