Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Fairytale Challenge: Scarlet Audiobook Review


So I feel like I have been slacking with my Fairytale Challenge lately so I decided to listen to the audiobook for the second novel in The Lunar Chronicles. The second book was so good that I kind of wish I had sat down to read the words myself, but listening to the audiobook definitely counts too!

My Rating:

★★★★★


First off all, I loved Rebecca Soler's narration on this audiobook. I'm not really that picky with narration but I have noticed sometimes that female narrator's do really bad male voices. I thought all of the characters voices were pretty distinct and I didn't mind Wolf or Thorne's voices in the audio. I was actually glad I did the audio for at least one of these books because it cleared up how to pronounce some of the names.

So I absolutely loved this sequel from the moment I started listening to it. First of all I love the idea of companion novels so I was really excited that we got introduced to a new character in this novel. I didn't realize that we would later meet up with Cinder, but I was really excited to see how this story unraveled. 

Oh and I totally did not see Wolf's story arc coming! I kept thinking, "What is this dude's deal? Who is he?" and I can't believe I didn't figure it out earlier. I feel really conflicted about him, but I really like Scarlet, and her grandmother was so freaking cool! I loved how Meyer slowly unraveled how exactly she was involved with Cinder's origin story. I like that we've not just getting data dumps, but her story piece by piece. I think it makes me want to just read more.



Did anyone else get a Han Solo vibe from Thorne? I mean he would totally say that right? Maybe it's just the Star Wars fan in me, but I loved Thorne because he reminded me so much of Solo. I mean... criminal, thief, has a crappy ship that he thinks is the best...hmmm sounds familiar to me. I also enjoyed the love/hate relationship between him and Cinder. He annoyed the crap out of her but in the end she would have been more annoyed had he not survived alongside her. I also thought his comic relief was necessary for this story. He might be my favorite right now.

I genuinely really enjoyed this book that I'm kind of mad at myself for not getting to this series earlier. I thought this second installment was actually better than Cinder. I saw a lot of improvement in the plot and the writing, and it left me wanting to get my grubby hands on the next book in the series. Marissa Meyer has won me over with this one. 

What did you think of Scarlet? Did you love it as much as I did?


Happy Reads Everyone!