Thursday, April 16, 2015

Do audiobooks count towards reading challenges?



So if you have been following my blog this year you probably noticed that I started delving into audiobooks a lot more. When I first starting listening to books on audio I was having a conversation with another bookworm friend about whether or not audiobooks should count towards our Good Reads Challenges. I say they absolutely do! But I think in the past that wouldn't have been my answer.

Okay I'll admit it, there was a time when I was a book snob. I didn't really read comics and I never listened to audio books. When Audible first started getting big and running commercials I wasn't a huge fan of it. I had this dumb idea that listening to someone read you a book is not the same as actually reading it yourself. I kind of looked down at it, and looking back now I think that idea is pretty dumb.

Listening to an audiobook is different from actually sitting down and reading the words from the page yourself, but I think that is the point. With an audiobook you actually know how to pronounce all the character names! If the book is set in a different country sometimes you even get to hear a regional dialect, which is a huge difference from what you hear in your head when reading yourself. I actually like doing at least one book in a series now so that I can pronounce everything correctly!

Looking back on it now, I think it's ridiculous that I looked down on audiobooks. That kind of excludes people that may have visual disabilities and can't physically see the writing. So how is that fair to those individuals? It's not. Even though I'm not flipping through the pages myself, someone else is and they are just reading the text aloud to me. Would you say that you didn't read a book just because it was one that your parents read to you before bed? No, you read that book, so I think it's the same concept.

So let's bring it back to my initial question: do you count audiobooks towards your reading challenges? I do, and I think you should too! I mean... really why wouldn't you count it towards your reading challenge? Don't be like old book snob Deanna!


Happy Reads Everyone!