Monday, April 13, 2015

Audiobook Review: Dark Triumph




My Rating:

★★★★★

So I just recently got into listening to audiobooks, but lately I have been in a slump. I listened to half of City of Ember before I just gave up on it. I thought maybe I needed to take a break from listening to books. Then I realized that maybe listening to books that I wouldn't normally read wasn't the best thing to do. There is a reason why I didn't want to read those books, so I decided to start trying to find audiobooks of books I really wanted to read. Which is how I found myself listening to Scarlet on audio, followed shortly after by Dark Triumph.

Dark Triumph is the second book in Robin LaFevers' His Fair Assassin Trilogy. What I love about this series is that they are companion novels, so this second book does not follow Ismae after Grave Mercy, but rather gave us a taste of what Sybella had been doing. I'm actually really glad I did the audiobook for at least one of these books because now I can pronounce all the names correctly!

In the first novel Sybella came off as kind of a bitch, so she spoke to me on a lot of levels. This novel really showed us why Sybella is the way she is and the reasons she doesn't trust the Abbess is definitely understandable. This novel really made me hate the Abbess. Especially since she was all pissy at Sybella for leaving her post, but if she hadn't traveled with Beast to deliver him to the Duchess he would probably be dead. Like Sybella, I just wanted to hit the Abbess at this point.



Her story is a lot darker than Ismae's which we learn more about later in the novel once her friendship with Beast starts developing more. Which I loved because their romance was such a slow burn. Like you knew they would come to love each other, but Sybella's surliness towards him in the beginning just made me laugh. Opposites definitely attracted here! Also, I really liked that LaFevers wrote a romance between a beauty like Sybella and a big ugly brute of a man like Beast. Sybella has no problem talking about how ugly Beast is, but that doesn't stop her from falling in love with him. I thought this was such an important type of romance to include in this series. (Asti from Oh the Books actually wrote a post about Beast's ugliness and her thoughts on the lack of ugliness in YA, which you should totally go take a look at.)

So Sybella was this surly and cynical character, but she always got the job done and that was why I loved her so much. Her story was a lot different from Ismae's, but it still gave me everything I wanted from a sequel. I would 100% recommend this book to everyone I know, and I'm really excited to read the final book about Annith.

What did you think about this book?

Happy Reads Everyone!