Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Books for readers who like Buffy The Vampire Slayer


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the bloggers at The Broke and The Bookish. I haven't done a TTT post in over a month so this one was kind of hard for me. Or maybe it was just the topic. This week's topic is the top ten books for readers who like _______. 



So obviously my choice was to do the top ten books for readers who like Buffy The Vampire Slayer. This one was hard, but I think this is the best I'm going to get it at this point. And surprisingly none of these books actually have vampires in them. I chose instead to focus on books that had magic or girls that would kick you in the teeth, or both. 

Who else has the theme song stuck in their head now? OH you don't? HERE YOU GO! 



The Mediator Series By Meg Cabot

Yo! Just stop reading this list now and go pick up a copy of Shadowland by Meg Cabot. DO IT NOW! And then get all of the sequels. I'm listening to the audiobooks now because Cabot is putting out an adult follow up in 2016, and I forgot how good these books are! Suze Simon is so awesome and whenever I try to get someone to read this series I say, "It's kind of like Buffy, but with ghosts!" Suze will punch you in the face and laugh about it. I feel like her and Buffy would have been BFFs. 


Throne of Glass By Sarah J. Maas

Like Buffy, Celaena does not take shit from anyone. She's a master of weaponry and knows how to get herself out of a tough bind. I've only read the first novel of this series but I feel like fans of Buffy will love both C's strength and her realistic vulnerabilities.


Devilish By Maureen Johnson

I've read a ton of Johnson's novels, but at the time this was the one that surprised me. This one was a change of pace for her writing at the time. The main character Jane spends the novel trying to redeem her best friend's soul from the devil. Fighting demons and evil seems right up Buffy fans' alley.


Valiant By Holly Black

As much as I loved Kaye in Tithe, I loved Val in the follow up a lot more. She was fierce as crap and definitely knew when to throw her punches. I think she could have gotten down and dirty fighting demons with the Buffster. 




Grave Mercy By Robin LaFevers

Did you sense the pattern of chicks with weapons yet? Because I think I recommended books with heroines that could hold their own in a fight. Ismae from Grave Mercy is no different. Home girl is an assassin for death and wears a small crossbow underneath her skirts! Girl knew how to kill, but also was a good mystery solver. I think she would have been a slayer.



Anna Dressed In Blood by Kendare Blake

Okay so I wasn't too crazy about this book because I thought it sounded WAY too much like an episode of Supernatural I've already watched, but I think fans of Buffy would like it. It's more a ghost story and it has a male protagonist but the ghost in the story is really interesting. 



A Game of Thrones By George R.R. Martin

You know Buffy would fight along side Brienne of Tarth and Arya Stark. I think the three of them would have formed a pretty awesome freedom fighter gang in Westeros. I feel like Buffy showcased a lot of different women with complexities and vulnerabilities. Game of Thrones definitely does the same thing. 


The 5th Wave By Rick Yancey

I think fans of Buffy will like reading about Cassie because she found the inner strength in herself to press on and survive. She also struggled a lot and made a lot of dumb mistakes, but once she got it together she was a force to be reckoned with. 


Code Name Verity By Elizabeth Wein

Verity would kick a man in the teeth and laugh about, Buffy Summers would do the same but stake a vamp in the heart. I think the fierceness of Verity is definitely something that fans of the TV show will come to love. 


Graceling By Kristin Cashore

Let me just give you the first sentence of the Good Reads summary:
Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight - she's a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. 
Hell yeah you want to read this book! I really loved this book and I think fans of Buffy will also really like Katsa cold, calculated disposition.

Well...who else is going to go watch this awesome 90s dated show on Netflix now? It better not just be me!
Happy Reads Everyone!