Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Review: The Martian


My Rating:

★★★★★


So my first impression after reading The Martian by Andy Weir was, "Did my rocket scientist brother write this?" Let me explain below.

The Martian was quite a ride, but it took some time getting off the ground for me when I first cracked it's pages. The novel is really entrenched in factual science, which was really good for the plot, but also hard for someone who doesn't have the best grasp on technical sciences. So this book was really hard for me intellectually and I wasn't sure if I was going to be into it, but I liked the challenge and I ending up really loving it.

So yeah at times I was thinking, "All right dude, I don't know what the eff you are talking about, but I want to see you survive." I think the thing that made me want to press on was that our protagonist, Mark Watney was just so funny. Here's this botanist stuck on Mars just trying to figure out how to survive, and he turns out to be really resourceful. Guess that's why NASA hired him. He was a great problem solver and gets all this shit thrown out him at once, and I just wanted to see how he was going to get out of his next bind. At the same time he had this cheesy humor to the situation that made me literally laugh out loud. 

There is a particular part where NASA finds out he's alive and they are like, "oh my god, what could he be thinking right now?" and then it cuts to Watney's log saying, 
How come Aquaman can control whales? They're mammals! Makes no sense.
To be honest, that might be my favorite quote. I did in fact literally laugh out loud.  I know it's so cheesy and dumb, but that's why I thought it was so funny.

Another factor I think that made the book interesting for me was that we got to see all sides of the story. The book starts off with Watney being stranded and trying to figure out how he is going to get off this dumb red planet, but then we start to get an idea of what NASA is thinking back on Earth, and later we get to hear from Watney's crewmates. Giving us the multiple perspectives told in both logs and traditional third person narration really rounded out the story. I think it really made me want to continue reading it.

I am only slightly disappointed that we didn't actually meet Martians, but at the same time I think that made this sci-fi novel more realistic. I'm trying to force my brother to read this now and tell me what he thinks, because one he would really like it and two, I want him to tell me if it's truly accurate. 

I think if you're really into science or just like reading stories about survival this one is for you. 

Seriously, what are you doing still reading this? GO GET THIS BOOK NOW!

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review

Happy Reads Everyone!