Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Fairytale Challenge: Splintered Review



My Rating:
★★★★



So I finally got around to working on my goal for my Fairytale Retelling Challenge by FINALLY reading Splintered by A.C. Howard. I think I am going to continue with the series, but the only reason I can't give it a 5-star rating is because I had a few problems with it. So let's get to the things I was finicky about out of the way first, and then we can get to the good stuff.

So what didn't I like? Firstly, why the hell were people making fun of her because she was related to Alice Liddell, but not because her mom was in a mental hospital? This is a really minor part to the story but it made me so mad! It just made no sense to me. The other thing I didn't like was the love triangle. Um...Jeb annoyed that crap out of me. I felt like he was this macho guy who believed that girls were made for him to save. His overprotectiveness of Alyssa annoyed me so much. On the flip side Morpheus was straight up creepy. Like pedophile creepy. So I just didn't want her to end up with either one of these asshats.

So it seems like I really didn't like this book, but that's not true. The parts where she is in Wonderland completing these "quests" was the best part. I also really liked that Howard distorted the Wonderland myth that we all know. Wonderland is actually more dark and scary than we thought, and I really liked that part. There is also a twist to the story that I think I should have seen coming, but I totally didn't and it made me really enjoy reading this!

So remember where I called Jeb an asshat? Well, Wonderland does change him and I think at the end readers like me will accept him. He makes a lot of sacrifices for Alyssa and you really do see how this adventure changed both of them for the better. I just hope that means the love triangle is nonexistent in the rest of the books.

So, I was a bit nit-picky with this book, but I still really enjoyed it and I would recommend it.

What did you think?

Happy Reads Everyone!