Saturday, February 7, 2015

Historical Fiction February: Top 5 Historical Fiction TV Shows


 

There seems to be a huge influx of period pieces on TV right now, so I thought it would be appropriate to talk about my Top 5 Historical Fiction TV Shows. Why five and not ten? Because I haven't watched enough period pieces. I think I've put these in chronological order by time period, let's see how well I did.


Peaky Blinders

I saw Netflix marketing this show and when I saw that Cillian Murphy was the star I did not hesitate at all. This show is a little slow moving at times, but I think it's really cool. It not only deals with the roaring '20s but it also deals with post traumatic stress over the Great War (WWI). 


Agent Carter

A long time ago I saw this post on tumblr that essentially said they wanted a show about a hero dying and their love interest picking up the pieces to become a hero themselves. Agent Carter is giving us to that. Although Marvel fans know that Cap is alive, Peggy Carter post-WWII does not and her story is about how she goes on without him. She's a BAMF that doesn't take shit from anyone. The thing I like about this show is that they will be able to play with what happens from after the war until SHIELD is founded. Umm...if you watch Agents of Shields you know Carter is one of the founders so you need to watch this show! So far they only signed on for 8 episodes so I really hope we get to see a second season.


The Bletchley Circle

Some of the marketing for Agent Carter is that it's a show for people who like the Bletchley Circle. I would have to agree. Both shows are about women whom were influential during the war whom afterwards have to figure out their place in the world. This one is about a group of four women that worked in the famous Bletchley Park as code breakers during the war. The main character goes away in the second series and I wasn't too crazy about that story arc but I was really hoping for a third series. Alas, the current news is that they have been canceled. BOO!!!!



Mad Men

Okay...sometimes I really hate this show because of how women are treated but sometimes I really like it. I have mixed feelings about Mad Men, but since I work in advertising I really like watching this advertising firm work their magic. I do think it's a pretty good representation of the time period, but I hate all of the men in it.
My Mad Fat Diary

My Mad Fat Diary is quite a time jump from the 60s to the mid-90s, but I love this show. One of my friends strong-armed me into watching this and I'm really glad she did. I didn't know it was set in the 90s, but it was what I had been wanting lately. It also deals with a lot of mental health and self image issues that I think are really important right now. There is supposedly going to be a third series but it's only going to be 3 episodes. 


Do you have a favorite period piece TV show? Let me know in the comments below.


Happy Reads Everyone!