Monday, February 16, 2015

Historical Fiction February: The White Queen Review


My Rating:
★★1/2

I've read four of Philippa Gregory's books and I think The White Queen is where I say, "Okay, I think I've had enough." After this one I think Philippa and I are breaking up, it's not me, it's you.

Her textbook like style of writing makes her novels drag for me and I think it is because of this style that I really shied away from the historical fiction genre for so long. Like The Red Queen, Gregory's story about Elizabeth of Woodville did not wow me at all. In fact I felt like it was a bland retelling of her story and made me remember why I dislike politics so much.

I read a lot of reviews that were mad that Elizabeth's influence on King Edward was regulated to her "magic" but if that wasn't in this book it would have been more boring than I thought it was. The plus side to this novel was that unlike the previous one, I actually liked the character. I felt for Elizabeth's plight when she was deprived of her role as Queen, but towards the end of the novel I just didn't care anymore. I didn't care. They all were conniving assholes and Gregory somehow made a story that should have been really interesting and wrote in the most boring prose I've ever read. I constantly had to remind myself that I wasn't in fact reading a high school history textbook.

I feel like I'm being really harsh with this review, but I just could not get into this novel, and I don't think I'm going to continue with this series. It's been real, not real great, but I think this is where I abandon the Cousins' War and the Tudor Court novels. I would not recommend this book.

Have you read any of Gregory's novels? What did you think?


Happy Reads Everyone!