Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Historical Fiction February: Top Ten Historical Movies

I hope you've been enjoying the posts I've been bringing to you for Historical Fiction February. Last week I broke down my Top 5 Historical Fiction TV Shows and this week I'm breaking down my Top Ten Movies of the genre. These are clearly not in chronological order and I probably missed a lot of great ones but these are all ones that have meant a lot to me.


Miracle

I don't know if any of my readers know I used to be a hockey blogger, I even worked part-time for Philly.com sports, but if you follow me on other social media platforms you have to know I'm a diehard hockey fan. So of course Miracle is one of the top movies on my list. 


You might be thinking a sports movie doesn't have a lot to do with history, but Miracle does as it took place during the tail end of the Cold War when Herb Brooks led the USA men's hockey team to victory over the Soviet Union men's team. It was a big deal of nation pride back then and it's a pretty awesome hockey movie. At least in my opinion.


Good Morning Vietnam

I'm still upset over Robin Williams you guys, so upset. We recently watched this movie and I think it has the best of Williams acting chops in it. He's equal parts funny and serious in this movie about a shock radio jockey sent to Vietnam. It deals with the conflict itself but also shows the cultural differences and struggles between the American soldiers and the Vietnam citizens. 


Gangs of New York

This is another great historical movie that I hadn't seen until recently. I also started watching Copper immediately after this and I didn't realize they were the same setting. I didn't know too much about the five points in New York during this time period, but come on Daniel Day-Lewis is in it so you know it's got to be good.


Hotel Rwanda

In high school they made everyone watch this movie and/ or Blood Diamond. I liked this movie because it's not something they teach a lot about in American history classrooms. I also think it makes us realize the plight of other people in the world. Some people have war in their countries and they constantly live in fear of that, sometimes I think us Americans lose sight of that.




The Other Boleyn Girl

Adapted from Philippa Gregory's novel, this movie is a historical fiction piece about one of our favorite time periods in England. The reign of Henry VII, you know the one with eight wives whom definitely did NOT look like Eric Bana, let's be honest. I read this book a long time ago, but of the three I've read from the author this was my favorite. It's been a long time since I've seen it but I think the movie version did the book justice.


Braveheart 

Okay, I actually wasn't sure if I should add Braveheart to this list. Why? Because although this movie is such a great epic movie, it's known as being one of the most historical inaccurate movies of all time. Love it for what it is, but for the love of god do your own research on William Wallace. 


The King's Speech

This is another World War II movie, but it's less about the actual start of the war and more about the man that eventually led England to their victory. It was more a personal piece about King George and how he had to fight his demons to led England through the war. Colin Firth is awesome in it.


Schindler's List

This movie moved most of my world history class to tears back in high school. This is powerful piece that really helps you understand just how inhumane the Nazi party was. It's a hard film to swallow but I think everyone needs to see it.



The Wind That Shakes The Barley

If you don't know anything about the Irish Conflict--which is still going on today--go watch The Wind That Shakes The Barley. I watched this movie in my Irish Literature class and it really stuck with me. Plus Cillian Murphy is in it!


Dazed and Confused

Let's end on a lighter note. Dazed and Confused is a light-hearted funny period piece about what it was like growing up in the seventies. Not to be confused with Fast Times at Ridgemont High, which is another great one. All of your stoner friends in college probably loved this one. Now say it with me...

What are your favorite historical movies? 


Happy Reads Everyone!