Thursday, February 5, 2015

Historical Fiction February: Review Goliath



My Rating:

★★★★★

To start off Historical Fiction February with a bang, I've finished reading my first first book of the month.

Goliath by Scott Westerfeld is an alternative WWI steampunk novel that has one foot in the sci-fi/fantasy genre and one foot in historical fiction, so I think it was appropriate to start out the month with this book. If you haven't read this book...Why are you even reading my review? Just go pick up a copy of Leviathan and get started on reading this awesome trilogy now! I'm serious, this book and the series as a whole was awesome!

It's really rare for me to rate a book with five stars. The book has to be really good, and it has to keep my attention throughout while also making me continue to want more. It's also rare for a whole series to be rated so highly by me. Series often get muddled and lose their meaning after the second book, but Scott Westerfeld's Goliath did not do that.

The conclusion to this series gave me everything I wanted. Alek finally knows who Deryn really is, there is massive amount of action and adventure and a nice ending that leaves your own ideas of what is going to happen next. I know that Westerfeld wrote a bonus "fanfiction"chapter on his blog but I was satisfied with the ending that I might not even read it.

I just loved this series so much, and I wish I could be best friend with Deryn Sharp. She is spunky and resourceful and knows how to work the system. You go, Mr. Sharp! I also think that Alek had some great character development and his choice in the end was I was dreaming about. These two are my favorites and I imagine they will go on to have crazy adventures together. I would love to read more of their adventures if Westerfeld ever writes about them again, but I was really happy with where their stories ended.

Did you love the Leviathan series? Let me know in the comments below.

Also feel free to give me any suggestions for fantastic steampunk novels. I am looking to start branching out into this genre more after reading this awesome series.

Happy Reads Everyone!