Sunday, February 1, 2015

Historical Fiction February: Number The Stars Discussion











When I first started this blog, I was a bit drained from all the dystopia novels that were flooding the Young Adult genre that I ended up writing these Tired Of Dystopia, Try Genre X posts. When it came to my Historical Fiction post the very first book on that list was Lois Lowry's Number The Stars and here's why.


Number The Stars was one of my first forays into the historical fiction genre and I think that's why I hold it so near to my heart. I read this book when I was in the third grade and still a child, but it's just one of those books that stuck with me for a very long time. This was also when I first heard of the atrocities of the second world war. I went to a christian private school at the time (which was not the best education wise) so I don't think they even covered the first world war, but this novel really helped me to understand what happened in the second one and why the event still affects our society.

This book might have been what sparked my interest in World War II, because I just wanted to learn more. How could this have happened? How could someone come into power and enact all these terrible things? I think we are still dissecting the questions of Hitler's Germany in our current time, but as a kid this novel was key in understanding how the Nazi party destroyed people's lives. 

I think what I loved about this novel was not only did it open up my eyes to what had happened in our past, but it was also a story about the power of friendship. Here was this one girl whose best friend was Jewish and all she wanted to do was to protect her friend. That strong friendship is probably why this book is still one of my favorites to this day. I think a reread might be in order soon as well.

Not only did Lowry's novel teach me about the power of friendship or about the war, but I think it was also the catalyst for my interest in the historical fiction genre. I've shied away from the genre for awhile, but after reading a few really good books in the genre recently I've realized that I do really like it.

What book got you interested in the historical fiction genre? Let me know in the comments below.

Happy Reads Everyone!