Saturday, February 14, 2015

Historical Fiction February: Casablanca Discussion


Oh my god, I can't believe I wrote a post about my Top Ten Historical Fiction Movies, and I didn't include Casablanca. That is my favorite movie! I think initially I was going to include it but since it is my ultimate favorite movie I decided to give it a post all it's own. Okay maybe I just forgot about it, don't judge me!

A lot of people don't know that I had a major obsession with pin-up photography and 1940s-1950s fashion styles when I was in high school. Which probably explains why I love Agent Carter so much. I listened to a lot of retro rockabilly at the time too, and I got really into classic movies. That's how I came to discover that Casablanca was my favorite movie and eventually I started to love Humphrey Bogart. For real, he is still my favorite actor. 

I actually have that poster in my cube at work and only one person has ever made a comment about it. As Time Goes By is actually one of my favorite songs as well. 



Casablanca is heavily entrenched in WWII history. The film is set in unoccupied Morocco during the height of the war where the protagonist Rick Blaine is delivered letters of transit that he needs to hide from the Nazis. The plot deals a lot with the desperation of people whom are trying to escape the horrors of the war, and shows how although Rick is no longer a freedom fighter he is still fighting against the war in his own way. He just didn't know that his one true love Ilsa Lund would show up looking for the letters. 

I love this movie, and although it is a very historical movie, I think at its core it is really about the love story between Rick and Ilsa. It's not a happy love story, but rather a story about how a man loves a woman so much that he is willing to let her go because he thinks it's the right thing to do. It's a tragedy, but who doesn't love those?



I adore this movie so much, and it's just one of those classics movies that I will never get bored of. I think it has also been on a lot of those "Best Movie of All Time" lists a few times.

Do you adore any classic movies from before your time?

Happy Reads Everyone!