Sunday, January 18, 2015

TBR Pile Challenge: Throne of Glass Review


I'm participating in the TBR Pile Reading Challenge hosted by Evie-Bookish, and I can now say that I have already marked off one of the books I intended to read for this challenge.

I like this cover SO much better!
My Rating:

★★★★☆

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Mass is also the readalong book for January for this challenge, but I finished it a little before the final discussion post. So if you read my first half discussion post on this book, some of my thoughts about the novel have not changed.

One of the things I didn't like in this book was the brewing love triangle that I could see between Celaena, Chaol and Dorian. I preferred Chaol, but I really did not care about whom she ended up with because Celaena's story is not defined by her love interests. She does make somewhat of a choice in the end, and I liked that Maas nipped that conflict in the bud...I hope.

I loved that Maas didn't write Celaena with all the stereotypes of a "strong female warrior." Celaena wasn't mannish, nor was she cut off from her emotions or vulnerabilities. She was a kickass assassin that could easily kill you, but one that also loved the feel of silk on her skin and was hurt that she couldn't go to any of the court feasts. I loved this about her character because it made her feel more real. I also loved this complexity because Maas didn't make her choose to be an assassin or to be feminine, she was rightfully allowed to be both.

I thought at times the action was slow, but I think I latched onto the characters that I got sucked into this world immediately. The pace of the story does improve as you start to find at what or whom is killing off the other champions and in the final duel in the competition. I think that scene was so bat shit crazy that I couldn't read it fast enough! It was probably my favorite part of the book.

Overall I really liked this book, and I'm kicking myself for putting it off for so long. I definitely will continue to read this series...eventually! (You should know By know how terrible I am at keeping up with series.)

What did you think about this novel? Let me know in the comments below!

Happy Reads Everyone!