Monday, January 12, 2015

Review: Blood Of Olympus


So I finally--FINALLY got to read Blood Of Olympus by Rick Riordan, the conclusion to the Heroes of Olympus series. So YAY I can finally stop blacklisting it on tumblr! I love Rick Riordan. Discovering the Percy Jackson series is one of the best things that ever happened to me. Before I go into a series overall rating, let's talk about the last book in the series.

Basically how I'm going to review this is to talk about the four demigods that I thought were the most integral to the final installment.

Piper McLean:

Homegirl is awesome. I hate that a lot of people think she is a useless character and I want to kick them in the teeth. I think the problem is that they think what Piper thinks about herself, but at this point in the series Piper finally realizes that she had worth. I really loved her character development. A + job on Riordan's part. Also I loved his response to a fan about her being useless. You tell 'em Uncle Rick!


Nico De Angelo:

Nico is so surly and sarcastic, wait...am I Nico? I love Nico and the fact that he had a crush on Percy the whole time not Annabeth really brought some more diversity to Riordan's novel. Nico is a BAMF. There is one particular scene where he straight up turns an enemy into a revenant. It was pretty scary, but so appropriate for a son of Hades. Nico's character development was pretty great too. Here's this kid that thinks he doesn't belong so he shies away from everyone, but he ends up being really important to the story.

Reyna Avila Ramirez-Arellano

I have to admit I don't think I liked Reyna when we first met her, but as the series progressed she grew on me. Especially in this book. Reyna was pretty much the all-star of this novel, because without her and Nico going on the quest to bring the Athena Parthenos to Camp Half-Blood, the war with the Greeks and Romans would have spilled a lot of demigod blood. She was so important to the plot, but she wasn't without her own vulnerabilities and weakness. I think she ended up being my favorite character in the series. Besides Leo of course.

Leo Valdez

Leo says the things I'm thinking, and he was great as the comic relief character, but he was so much more than that. Leo helps his friends in so many ways and like Reyna his quest ends in a lot of sacrifice and love for his friends.

I really enjoyed reading the conclusion of this series, but I'm just really sad that it is over!

My Rating For Blood of Olympus:

★★★★☆

I loved the series as a whole. I actually think that it is Riordan's best work. Having read both the first Percy Jackson series and the Kane Chronicles I think that Riordan has grown and progressed a lot as a writer. The thing that made me really love this series was that it was in multiple perspective. I love multiple perspective. I also loved just how inclusive he tried to be with his characters. There was a lot of diversity to his characters, not only in ethnicity but also in personality and even time period (see Hazel & Nico's origins).

Rating for The Heroes Of Olympus Series as a whole:

★★★★★

It's a rarity when I will give 5 stars to books, because you really have to impress me to earn that but I'm giving it to Riordan here.

What did you think about the final installment or the series as a whole? Let me know in the comments below.

Happy Reads Everyone!