Sunday, January 4, 2015

Fairytale Challenge: Cinder Review


The Daily Prophecy


I've got my second fairytale retelling done for the Fairytale Challenge I'm participating in hosted by the Daily Prophecy. Yay! I'm making headway but I'm still just in the Prince Charming level. I hope by the end of the year to at least be in the Big Bad Wolf level!

So I'm one of those people that tends to shy away from all the big novels that everyone is always gushing about. Mostly because there have been some novels (Divergent, The Selection) that I just read and felt were really overrated. Cinder, the first novel in the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer did not fall into this category. This was one of those books that I was screaming at myself, "Why didn't I read this sooner?"

Cinder is a retelling of the Cinderella tale, but the difference is that Cinder is a cyborg whom is also a mechanic that fixes port screens, androids, etc. What I liked about the story was that it combined two things I love: Sci-Fi and fairytale retellings. I also liked that the kingdom that Cinder lived in wasn't necessarily a "dystopia" like a lot of YA novels that have come out lately. Also, oh my Prince Kai is my sarcasm sprint animal. His attitude made me love him so much. 

I really liked this novel and I felt like it was a quick read. This was one of those books that I just could not put down. I will admit that parts of the novel was pretty predicable, but I don't think that necessarily hurt this novel. I think Meyer was pretty heavy handed with the foreshadowing so you were supposed to predict the revelation at the end of the novel. Sometimes I don't like predictability in novels, but I didn't mind it in this one.

My Rating:
★★★★☆

Happy Reads Everyone!