Saturday, January 24, 2015

Book Confession: I Don't Like Novellas



Hello fellow book lovers, I'm afraid today I have a book confession to make. I honestly don't like novellas. I'm just one of those readers that doesn't care for novellas.

So why don't I like novellas? I HAVE NO IDEA.

I really don't know what it is that makes me not like them, but I've never had any interest in reading novellas. Back in the early 2000s when I was first reading The Princess Diaries, Meg Cabot wrote a few novellas for her series, but I had no interest in reading them. Back then there didn't seem to be a lot of them on the market but I've noticed in recent years a huge influx of novellas complimenting popular book series.

Maybe I don't choose to read them because they are too short. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but when you're used to reading 300+ novels in a series you tend to skip those shorter writing pieces. I think maybe one of the main reasons I chose not to read them is because they are not necessary to the overall story. You don't have to read novellas that connect to a certain series, because it is not like you will miss an important aspect of the story arc.

So maybe it's not that I dislike or hate novellas. I think it is actually because I have so many books on my shelf that I rather be reading full novels than spending my precious reading time on shorter pieces that compliment a series I've already read.

I want to know your opinion about this. Are you a fan of the novella trend? Do you always reads novellas from your favorite series? Let me know in the comments below.

Happy Reads Everyone!