Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Book Review: Man Made Boy


So technically this is another Sci-Fi November book review since I did finish Jon Skovron's Man Made Boy before December. I'm just a little behind since I just returned from vacation. This one brings me up to having read 5 out of 6 books towards my reading challenge. Yay me!

I saw Skovron at the Doylestown Bookshop with Stephanie Perkins in September. I had never heard of him before, but the way he described his book made me think, "oh my god, I need to read this!" So I finally did and oh man this book was so cool! 

The story is in the perspective of Boy, a monster created by Frankenstein's Monster and his bride. Boy lives in the catacombs of an old theatre in a community of various monsters and mythical creatures, where they masquerade as a special effects show for humans. But that's the least interesting thing about Boy's life. Boy is also a computer hacker who has created a computer virus that becomes sentient and wants to kill everyone. (Sounds a lot like H.A.L.) 

My favorite part in this book was when we found out that Boy gets on the internet by plugging himself into it. No, like literally he plugs it into the back of his head and he doesn't even have a screen because he can see it in front of him in his head. How cool is that!This book really made me want to try to learn to code again. I have really minimum html coding skills, but I really wish I had the brainpower and patience to learn it more. 

The core of the novel is about Boy running away from his problems and realizing that in the end your problems will come back to bite you. The novel is also about facing the consequences of your actions, and I really do feel that Boy overcame that at the end of the novel. 

The monster society paired with technology was a cool concept. I really enjoyed this one and I highly recommend it. I'm giving it an 8 out of 10.

What are your thoughts on this book? Are you planning on reading the sequel This Broken Wondrous World?