Monday, November 3, 2014

Sci-fi November: Sci-Fi TBR list


If you didn't read my introduction post about Sci-Fi November, go check it out for more information about this event. So to get started I figured I would make a decision about which science fiction books I want to attempt to read this month. Attempt being the key word. 


I narrowed it down to three, mostly because the last one is going to take me a really long time to read. I'm actually in the middle of the Kane Chronicles, but I think I'm going to wait until December to read the last one so I can read as many Sci-Fi books in November as I can. 



Okay, I've had Ender's Game on my list forever, and I'm still a little hesitant to read it. It's really hard especially with social media to not judge a book based on its author's actions, but I've heard such wonderful things about this book that I'm going to try to separate the two. I think that might be why I keep putting off this book, but since it's Sci-Fi November, I finally have that extra push to finally read it.

My boyfriend doesn't read often, so when he recommends a book, I take that recommendation to heart. If he likes any one genre I definitely think Sci-fi is it. Other than his opinion that this is a good book, I haven't heard much about this one and I'm trying to avoid the reviews so I can go into this one with a fresh mind. 


Herbert is often referred to as the Sci-Fi response to Tolkien, and that makes me really intrigued. My only hope is that the trees don't walk quite as much in Dune as it does in The Lord of the Rings. I have been looking for a new long epic series to read while I wait for George R.R. Martin to finish The Winds of Winter, so I think Dune will fill that void in my reading schedule. I like to challenge myself once in a while, and I think Dune with be a rewarding challenge.

Bonus Books:

If I somehow finish all three of these books this month I'm going to try to tackle the following:



The 5th Wave By Rick Yancey.  Alien invasions and humanity fighting to survive? The 5th wave seems like such a quintessential sci-fi novel. I've had this book on my TBR forever, so if I don't read it this month, I'm hoping to get to it soon.


Man Made Boy By Jon Skovron. Skovron's novel is one of those sci-fi novels that straddles the sci-fi and fantasy genres. I like to think of it more as traditional sci-fi when you consider that it stems from one of the first sci-fi novels, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I hope I get to read this one soon, but I have so many books and so little time!


What Sci-Fi books are you planning to read this month? Let me know in the comments below.

Happy Reads Everyone!