Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Sci-fi November: Book Review: The 5th Wave



Oh my gosh! I did not think I was going to like this book quite as much as I did. I thought I was going to like it since it was recommended by a friend whom has the same tastes in books as me, but I didn't think it would enthrall me as much as it did. This book kept my attention so much that I read it in 3 days.

The 5th Wave is about an alien invasion and goes through the different "waves" of attacks until we meet up with the present and begin to learn about the 5th one. The book does utilize a lot of sci-fi alien tropes, but I think that the plot and the writing style kept me interested in it all the way through. I almost want to say that this is a retelling of War of the Worlds, but I think this book had a lot of differences. 

Yancey tells his story in multiple perspective separated by parts. The only thing I would have changed here was a name above each chapter or part so you knew the speaker. I knew this was multiple point of view before I read it so as I was reading Cassie's part I kept thinking "Wait...is this a new speaker?" It took some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it the style it makes sense. The really interesting part about the use of multiple narrators was that the voice was always in first person. I think that the majority of multiple perspective books I've read have used third person. I thought it was an interesting approach and I ended up really liking it. It was also really effective because the reader knows whom the bad guys are, so when certain characters start trusting them you are sitting there internally screaming, "No! You idiot!" Yancey knew exactly what he was doing here, and it worked perfectly.

It's not just the plot and the writing style that made me like this book so much. I loved all of the characters. Well except for Evan because he was so shady. You'll see why. But I think I liked Cassie the most, probably because she is the only female point of view we get, but also because she was a survivor. I liked those types of characters that push on and just try living. 

I blew through this book and generally really enjoyed it. I'm giving it an 8.5 out of 10.

What did you think of The 5th Wave?

Happy Reads Everyone!