Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Book Review: UnDivided







Oh my god! This series blows all the other young adult dystopia novels off the freaking planet. I feel like a lot of "dystopia" novels that have come out recently have just used that as a backdrop to the overall plot, but not Shusterman's tale. Without a world with unwinding, Shusterman wouldn't have had a plot, so it's the dystopian society in this novel that gives us the story. This terrifying story. 

This series will rock you to your core, so tread lightly before you starting reading it. One of things that blurs the lines with reality and fiction is his use of real articles and blogs that explain how he got the idea for this series. Some of those clips are scary realistic. Like the three books before it, UnDivided came off as a heavy and terrifying read. There were even moments that I had to read another book in-between reading sessions because I just couldn't handle it. I also just didn't want this series to be over.


There's so much that I want to say about this last book, but I feel like I can't say anything without giving away a lot of spoilers. What I can say is that this final installment does give you the answers you want. It also gives you some huge plot turns. The kind that make you gasp out loud that someone in the next room thinks something is wrong. (Hint: this happened to me). Shusterman does a good job of keeping the reader in suspense and wondering about the fates of our three heroes. Once I got to a certain point I could not put this book down at all, because I just wanted to see it all the way through to the end.

So what about that ending? Okay I'll be honest, I wanted a little bit more from the ending. However, it wasn't a bad ending, I just wanted more of it. I think that Shusterman does a good job of wrapping up the story but he also leaves it open to potentially continue. Overall, this book was awesome and I'm giving it a 9 out of 10.

Have you finished this series? What are your thoughts?

Happy Reads Everyone!