Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Places Books Have Made Me Want To Visit


So I've noticed a couple other book bloggers have been doing these Top Ten Tuesday blogs hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, so I decided to join in on the fun. I'm not sure if I'm going to do them every week, but I think it's a great way to generate topics to write about.

This week's topic is the top ten places books have made me want to visit. Luckily for me, not all of them have to be real! So here are the top ten places I'd want to visit and the books that have inspired those desires.

1. Hogwarts, Harry Potter Series. I mean who wouldn't want to become a witch or wizard at Hogwarts? Also per the books, Hogwarts is in Scotland, and I do have the urge to visit that country as well. So count me in.

2. Westeros, A Song of Ice and Fire Series. Some people might not want to go to Westeros for fear of dying, because George R. R. Martin loves to kill off the best characters, but I'm confident that I would be a scrappy survivor like Arya Stark. I hope.
3.Narnia, Chronicles of Narnia. Dude, I have a wardrobe in my bedroom but I still haven't found Narnia yet. The winter parts might suck, but I'm up for an adventure.
4. Swish Alps, Leviathan. At the end of Scott Westerfeld's steampunk novel they end up in the isolated Swish Alps. I might die, but at least it would be a cool place to visit. (hahah I'm so punny).
5. Sweden, Millennium Series. The thing I loved about Stieg Larsson's trilogy was that the translation was written so well that you actually got a real life look at Sweden and the culture of that county.
6. Canada, Hockey: A People's History. As a huge hockey fan I've always wanted to go to Canada, but reading about how much the sport defines the country really makes me want to go. Like right now.
7. Wonderland, Alice in Wonderland. Hell yeah I want to eat some mushrooms and grow small and talk to the hookah-smoking caterpillar. Okay, this makes me sound like Hunter S. Thompson, but Wonderland seems like a fun place to visit. Until you meet the Queen of Hearts, but I think I could take her.
8. Lily Dale, The Secret Life of Sparrow Delaney. Lily Dale is a real town in New York that is known for being a hub for mediums, psychics and the supernatural. There's an episode of Supernatural that features it and a ton of spooky/paranormal books that use it as the setting. Suzanne Harper's book was the first time I heard of the town, and it seems like an interesting place to visit.
9. Bixby, The Midnighters Series. Okay, I don't think I really want to visit the actual town of Bixby, but rather I want to see the midnight hour that is featured Scott Westerfeld's book.
10. England, Shades of London Series. Of course I want to visit all of Europe, but England has always been one of my top options. Maureen Johnson's Shades of London Series is just one of the few books I've read that has reminded me of that urge.

Which places have books made you want to visit? Let me know in the comments below.

Happy Reads Everyone!