Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Man, do I love the library!


I haven't been blogging at all! I wish I could say it's because I've been busy writing...I mean I was but then I kind of lost my touch, so I needed a break. I've spent the last few weeks binge watching netflix and reading a lot of mediocre books. I kid you not. In fact, I'm actually close to just giving up on a book I'm reading right now and I NEVER do that. So I've been reading a lot lately, and since I need to save more money I've been spending a lot of time at my local library.

I love the Doylestown Library and the entire Bucks County Free Library system. I am a huge fan. One of my earliest memories is of my mother taking my brother and I to the Grundy Library. I remember reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar there, and maybe that's where my love of books and reading started. I'm not really sure, but I can't really remember a time when I didn't know how to read. Reading is great and I think libraries really help to instill that in people. I like to think that it definitely helped me.

During one of my summer breaks in college I couldn't find summer work so I ended up volunteering at the library. I kind of want to do it again, but it's hard with my work schedule and me being back and forth from here and Harrisburg. To make up for that I started donating a small amount to the library per month. The library is probably my favorite place to be. Often I find myself walking through the shelves and thinking, "Why do I work in advertising? I should have been a librarian."

I think my heart belongs to the library, more so than bookstores. Don't get me wrong I love to support local book stores--I mean I keep on throwing money at The Doylestown Bookshop--but I'm also a post-grad in debt so I need to save what little money I have. I'm 24 and still live with my parents, so yeah I do not have the money I want to spend on all the books I keep on buying! So the library is definitely my best friend. There is a quote I keep on seeing on tumblr from Anne Herbert that I think personifies what I mean, "Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no libraries."

So why do I love my library? Should be pretty obvious at this point:

  • Music/DVD/Video Games, they seem to have everything at the library now!
  • Self-checkout, I used to never use this until recently. Sometimes I still go up to the desk because one time I was waiting for a book on hold and they had it back at the desk, not with the hold pickups, so I was able to get it right when I checked out
  • Holds, they make it really convenient by allowing you to put anything on hold
  • Michener & Mercer museums are right next door, and town shops are within walking distance

Michener Museum Next door

I am sure there are more reasons that I haven't thought of, but if you love reading go support your library today!

What was your most recent library check out? Let me know in the comments below!

Happy Reads, Everyone!