Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Book Review: Hollow City


The thing I love about Ransom Riggs' series is that he began it by collecting a series of strange photographs and ended up finding his story there. What an awesome idea! I love that because you see the photographs throughout the novel, so it gives it a mass media appeal.

It feels like it has been a million years since I read the first novel Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, so reading Hollow City a few years later was a bit tough. However, once I started getting into it everything started coming back to me. I think the sequel is on par with the first novel, and I really liked it.

There were only a few things I didn't like about the novel. One being Enoch, that boy was such an annoying pessimist the entire novel that I wanted Bronwyn to just squeeze him to death. The other part I didn't like about the novel was actually something that never actually happens. I can't really explain what this was without giving away a really big plot twist. So no spoilers on this one! Basically you think the novel is going to end a certain way and then it doesn't. Which I was really glad about because if it had ended the way I thought it was going to, I didn't know how there was going to be a third installment.

All in all, I really enjoy Riggs writing style, and I love the use of the two mediums to tell a story. I think it's interactive and gets the reader interested. I'm giving this one a 8.5 out of 10. Go read it now!

Have you read Hollow City? What were your thoughts? Let me know in the comments below.

Happy Reads Everyone!