Thursday, October 16, 2014

Book Review: Blood Red Road


When a book is optioned to become a film before being published that's when you know there is a problem with the written word. Sometimes a book is just awful, and maybe it's just in the wrong medium. That's exactly how I felt about Blood Red Road by Moira Young. I read a review that said the major problem at the book's core is that it is a book that is trying too hard to be a movie and I completed agree.

Blood Red Road was touted as a dystopia, but I'm still not even sure if it actually was a dystopia or if it was just set on another world. To me I thought the world building here fell flat, but it was not the main reason that I just could not get into the book. My biggest problems were with the writing style and the inability to connect with the characters.

The book is written in the perspective of our heroine Saba. Saba is isolated and uneducated, and it's pretty clear that she does not know how to read or write early on by how the book is written exactly how she talks. The entire narration is in her perspective and is written with grammatical and spelling mistakes. Some people were annoyed with it at first but soon got used it, I was not one of those people. For me the style seemed gimmicky and it didn't feel real, like it was trying way too hard to show you how uneducated this society was. I loved the concept, but for me I don't think this type of writing style works well on paper, but I think it will transfer really well onto film. So much that I tried to pretend this was a film script rather than a novel to get through it.

So maybe I didn't like the writing style, but sometimes when you like the characters in a book you stick by it because you feel that sort of connection. Nope, not in this one. I really did not care about Saba at all, and the love interest Jack also fell flat for me. The Free Hawks were interesting to the plot, but the individual girls could have been more fleshed out. Literally the only character I liked was Emmi and that was mostly because I felt bad for her because Saba blames everything on her.

So why did I suffer through this book? The plot drug on early in the book that I almost gave up on it, but I had read reviews and knew more interesting things would occur so I wanted to stick it out. The action-packed plot really kept my attention, but this is not a book I would recommend to anyone. I'm giving this a 3 out of 10, I just was not impressed.

What are your thoughts on this novel? Leave me a comment below.

Happy Reads Everyone!