Friday, September 5, 2014

Stephanie Perkins At the Doylestown Bookshop!


So I haven't been too active on the blog lately, but unfortunately it's not because I've been working hard on revising my novel. No, I'm still procrastinating with that project for the moment. Mostly it's because I've been binge watching Battlestar Galactica before Netflix pulls it in October, but also because I've been spending a lot of time trying to read all three of Stephanie Perkins novel by next Thursday, September 11th.

Anna and the French Kiss had been on my to-read-read pile for YEARS! I really drug my feet to read the novel, but I always had the intention to, just never the right motivation. Until I joined the Teen Book Club at my local bookstore, The Doylestown Bookshop. I had been going for a few months before they had confirmed that Stephanie Perkins would be visiting and doing a signing on September 11th. So we decided to read her first novel for our September meeting.

I wrote a review here about her first novel. I liked it, but I had a few nit-picky issues with it, but I was really hopefully for the next book Lola and the Boy Next Door. I haven't written a review for the second novel, since I just finished it last night, but let me tell you I LOVED Lola. I could not put that book down! She was over the top with wearing costumes all the time, but I loved that because I was the weird girl in High School that wore corsets and 1950s style dresses to school, so I really related to Lola. I might write a review of the second novel, so more on that later. I'm going to start the newest book Isla and the Happily Ever After today and since I'm traveling to Harrisburg by train this weekend to visit my boyfriend, I am pretty confident that I'll be able to finish it by Thursday. I'll probably finish it this weekend!

So, I am pretty excited for Stephanie Perkins' signing at my local bookstore, partly because I do really like her novels and I'm excited to meet her. The other part is because I have never actually been to a book signing. I know as a huge reader that might come off as strange, but I just never had the opportunity before. I met Laurie Halse Anderson in middle school when she came to my school to talk about Speak, but that wasn't a traditional "book signing". The Bookshop hosts a plethora of events, but other than the book club, I haven't really gone to any, so I'm hoping it will help me to start branching out.

Happy Reads, Everyone!