Sunday, August 10, 2014

Tired of Dystopia? Try These Historical Fiction Books Instead!

This is probably going to be the last installment in my Tired of Dystopia blog series. So today, I am going to be giving some suggestions for some time period/historical fiction books. As always if you have any more suggestions leave me a comment below.


Number The Stars By Lois Lowry
I think this book might be my favorite book, which is a hard thing for me to say, but it has been a book that has remained close to my heart. I read this book in the third grade and it was the first time I learned about what exactly happened in World War II. This story is more about the Danish Resistance and how they helped to rescue the Danish Jews from internment camps. It's also about the power of friendship between two young girls. 


Girl in Blue By Ann Rinaldi

Girl In Blue tells the story of strong willed Sarah Louisa who instead of marrying her neighbor, she runs away from home and disguises herself as a solider in the Civil War. The novel turns into more than just a story of a woman pretending to be a man in the army, as she eventually gets involved with the Pinkerton Detective Agency. The book is very intriguing especially for someone who knows little about the Civil War time period.   



The Flamboyant By Lori Marie Carlson

I think I found The Flamboyant at a thrift store but it ended up being one of those rare finds where I really adored the book. If you are intrigued by early woman aviators and Amelia Earhart, this is a book for you. This book tells the story of Lenora Demarest who befriends Earhart and wishes to become one of the first woman aviators in Puerto Rico. Interesting enough, the protagonist is loosely based around the very real woman aviator Clara Livingston.


Vixen By Jillian Larkin

Vixen is the first novel in The Flappers series by Jillian Larkin, and while I really enjoyed the first book in series I don't recommend finishing the series. This might be one suggestion I give that you might want to skip. I loved the concept of this series being about the Flapper lifestyle and speakeasies in the 1920s. I don't think I have read too many books in that period, so it really intrigued me. I think the final novel in the series falls flat and towards the end I just wanted it to be over. Despite that, I still recommend the first novel, because I did really like where it began.


Songs of Willow Frost by Jamie Ford

A while back I wrote a book review of this book, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with Jamie Ford's Songs of Willow Frost. The book is about one orphaned boy's search for his mother that he believes is still out there somewhere. The novel goes back and forth between perspectives and time to give the reader a non-chronological progression of the story. I loved that about this book, because it was something different and new. I highly recommend this book.

Happy Reads, Everyone!