Friday, August 1, 2014

Inkheart: A Book Review


Let me preface this by saying, before you watch any movie double check it's not a book first. That was my mistake with Inkheart. I watched the movie adaptation of Cornelia Funke's book a few years ago and I had no idea it was a book. I'm really disappointed in myself because at times when I was reading I kept picturing the movie, and I just wanted this story to play out in my head. All that aside, Inkheart was a pretty interesting book, and I had no idea it was a trilogy!

The novel is about a family that is torn apart because the father Mo can read things in and out of this book called Inkheart. This leads him to reading out the villain of the story who wants to exploit his talents, and thus the adventure in Funke's story unravels. I think one of the misconceptions about the story is that it is the book that has the special powers, but it is actually Mo who has the talents to bring the world of any book to life. I really liked that aspect of the story.

I think this is a novel that is for bookworms, which is something you get early on in the story. In the beginning when Meggie and her father Mo are fleeing their house, Meggie is trying to decide which books to take with her in her book box. The two never leave home without their favorite books, and I loved that about this book. Mo is a book doctor, he fixes bindings and keeps out literally book worms, so I think it was a really nice touch on the publishers side to have the physical book identical to the book jacket around it.

I think this story wrapped up nicely on its own, so I'm curious to see where Funke is heading with it. For this book I'm giving it a 7 out of 10.

What did you think about the book?

Happy Reads, Everyone!