Sunday, August 17, 2014

Girl In The Road: A Book review


I was really cautious when I began The Girl In The Road by Monica Byrne, because the first two books I have received for review from Blogging For Books were awful. It looks like the third time was the charm.

Byrne pleasantly surprised me with her loosely sci-fi book set in India and Africa, which unraveled the tales of Mariama and Meena. I liked that Byrne's book was in a non-Western setting, mostly because that forced me out of my reading comfort zone to focus on a culture very different from my own.

I've heard this book been called a dystopia, but I don't think that's accurate. It was set in a futuristic society full of political unrest and war, must like the world we live in now, and I think that's what made it so realistic. I think this book is not just about the problems with society, but it was also about how these two women deal with the consequences of their tragic romances. 

One of the other things I liked about this book was like Byrne wrote Meena with a fluid sexuality. I don't think she was written under any sort of sexual orientation label, I think she just loved who she loved, or rather lusted after, and I kind of liked that idea. 

I love multiple perspective in books, so I was a huge fan of the back and forth between Meena and Mariama's timelines. The only problem I had was that I kept wondering when their stories would collide. It wasn't until much later in the novel, but the way their lives connected was not what I had been expecting. 

I can't write much more about this novel without giving a lot of the plot away, so I will just say that I found this debut novel to be enjoyable. I think it lost me a bit with the ending, but overall I did really like it, and I would recommend it. I'm giving it a 3.5 out of 5 stars. 

*I received this book from Blogging For Books for this review. Click here for Monica Byrne's author bio and more info on Girl In The Road.

Happy Reads, Everyone!