Thursday, August 14, 2014

Before I Fall: A Book Review


Let me start out by saying that when you begin Before I Fall By Lauren Oliver, you will not like the protagonist Sam Kingston. Sam is a bitch. She's a mean, popular girl and she is everything that I was not when I was in high school. I really liked Oliver's novel Panic, but I did struggle with the personality of the character Heather in that book, so I was hoping I could eventually get used to Sam. It took me a really long time to get into this book, but once I did I seemed to melt into it.

It's really hard to say much about the beginning of the story without giving it away, but Sam spends a week reliving one day in a Groundhog Day like fashion. The book only has seven chapters to show how the day changed each time she relived it, so the chapters are long but I felt like they went by so fast. I just really wanted to keep on reading to find out what she was going to do to change the course of events. Could she really make amends for how horrible she had been to the people around her?

The book is a pretty interesting philosophical look on life, so I think it's one of those "Young Adult Fiction" books that can benefit everyone. (Although, I think anyone can read the genre). It also is heavy on the theme that your actions do speak louder than words, and they can have weighty consequences. This book was what I thought More Than This was going to be like, and Oliver again blew me away and inspired me with her writing.

One fair warning though, you will not like the ending. Life isn't fair and you don't always get the happily ever after ending, and I kind of like that Oliver didn't tie everything up in a nice bow. I'm giving this one a 7 out of 10.

Happy Reads, Everyone!