Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Anna and The French Kiss: A Book Review


I have some mixed feelings fro Stephanie Perkins' novel Anna and the French Kiss. I liked this book, but I also didn't like it, and I'll try to explain that as best I can.

Anna's dad is a fiction writer, whom sounds an awful lot like Nicholas Sparks, wants to send her to a boarding school in Paris, and Anna is pissed about it. Look, I understand not wanting to be uprooted from your life and I totally get not knowing the language of the country, but I think Anna didn't allow herself to be open to new experiences. I feel like she took too long to make the best of her situation, and that irritated me.

Perkins did win me over because the characters felt so real to me. Even though Anna did some really dumb things and I wanted to slap her with the book she came from, I really did come to like her. I also liked that she was so into old movies. I thought that was a cool personality trait to include. I felt like all of Anna's friends were pretty well developed, except for Josh. I think there is another layer to him that Perkins will peel back for her readers in Isla and the Happily Ever After, so at least there is that.

Sort of spoilers after the jump!



Anna and St. Clair's relationship seemed so real, and so familiar, but it also really pissed me off. Sure there were times when I was younger when I fell for someone with a significant other. It happens, you can't help who you fall for, but I'm not the type of person that would enable cheating. And that's the problem I have with this story. St. Clair had a girlfriend, a longterm girlfriend, and even though they were already pulling apart at the seams, putting that into the plot rubbed me the wrong way. It's not just the fact that he had a girlfriend, but if someone would jeopardize their current relationship what's to say they wouldn't do it again to you when you were together?

I still think the book is worth reading, it's a cute addicting love story, I just think that Anna could be selfish at times and it irked me a bit. I'd still recommend the book, and I'm excited to read Lola and The Boy Next Door because it's in the same "universe" but won't focus entirely on Anna or St. Clair.

I'm giving this one a 5.5 out of 10.

Happy Reads, Everyone!