Friday, July 11, 2014

Unsouled: A Book Review

This cover is pretty terrifying!
I read quite a bit of dystopia, so sometimes I get a bit burned out from it but Neal Shusterman's Unwind Dystology does not do that to me. Shusterman's saga is so scary and frightening, because of how realistic it is. With the inclusion of very real news stories that are eerily similar to the Unwind Age, he shows us how his terrifying world could be a possibility. That's why I think his work stands out from the other dystopia series out there, because this could happen and we need to make sure it never does.

In book three of the series Unsouled, Shusterman continues on with Connor, Risa, Lev and Cam's interconnected journeys. The thing I liked that was different about the third book was that we finally get to see how and why Lev was manipulated by the Clapper terrorist cell. In the first book we see Lev as CyFi is going a bit crazy and the next time we see him he is at the Graveyard being recruited by the Clappers. We never really knew what happened in between that time, and I was glad to finally have that answer.

The third book in the series brought back a lot of characters and events from the first book, which I thought was an interesting choice to do. I think Shusterman's point to do this was to show that each character was special in their own way. Especially when Connor reunites with Risa to find Sonia and they learn that the woman who housed them in her basement is not exactly who they thought she was. What they learn from Sonia is so big, and so crucial that there was no way this series could end at this book. It leaves a lot of questions left unanswered.


There were a few things that bothered me about this book. We find out that Lev spent time with the ChanceFolk and upon finding refuge with them again he abandons Connor and his quest to stay there. I was a little disappointed in Lev for this, but there is a big reveal on why he does this. Even so, I really just wanted it to be Risa, Connor and Lev against the world.

The other thing that bothered me was Cam and Connor's competition for Risa. I didn't think that this series would employ a love triangle, and to be honest, I am getting pretty sick of the convention in YA fiction. In the second book I was on the fence about Cam, but seeing him through Connor's eyes I really started to hate him.

Despite a few things that made me irritated I still loved this book, and it really made me question a lot of things about life. I think that everyone needs to read this book series, because it can teach you a lot about how our world is evolving, and why it needs to not come to this. I'm giving it a 8.5 out of 10.

Happy Reads Everyone!