Thursday, July 10, 2014

Tired of Dystopia? Try These Sports Books Instead!

Here is Part 3 of my Tired of Dystopia blog series. This week I'm going for a genre that I don't have a lot of books to recommend--sports books. Since the novels I am currently writing have an element of hockey to them, this list is pretty important to me. These are mostly hockey books, so if you have any other suggestions to add to this list please let me know!


J.R.: My life as the most outspoken, fearless and hard-hitting man in hockey 

If you love hockey, you love Jeremy Roenick. Chicago Blackhawks fan? Philadelphia Flyers fans? San Jose Sharks fan? You all love JR. Most fans may know JR now because of his broadcasting career for NBCSports, but back in the day he was one of the most ballsy players out there. Since JR wore the black and orange at one point in time, I love him, and this book was so entertaining. It's half memoir, and half him shooting the shit with the reader. If you want a book about sports, which is also about real life, I recommend his book.


Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

This is the only non-hockey book on my list. Even though I'm American, I don't know anything about football. Okay, I know some things, but I don't live and breathe for it like I do with hockey. Murdock's young adult book about D.J a farm girl who really just wants to try out for the football team was such a new and interesting concept. I liked this book because it shows a part of the country that I think a lot of us don't really think about--unless of course you live on a farm in a small town like D.J. It was a nice fresh take on a YA concept. Parts of it were predictable, but I think it's a "fluffy" read that sometimes you just need. There are actually two more books in the series, but I'm terrible at series and I haven't read them yet.



Open Ice By Pat Hughes

There are a few reasons why I adored this book. One, was that it tried to tackle the serious concussion problem that has been running rampant in the sport. Two, because Nick Taglio was obsessed with Eric Lindros and his style of head down macho man hockey. Lindros is the love of my hockey life, so immediately I connected with Nick. This book is one of those frustrating books because you connect with the character quickly, but you want to shake him because he is so stubborn and does idiotic things. I think the most important thing to take away from this book is that it was a realistic telling of a star hockey player and how he reacts to being told he may never play the game he loves again.


Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

I specifically sought out this book because I was looking for books that were like the one I was starting to write, and I wanted to read a YA book centered around hockey. Bittersweet was exactly the mix of sports and YA romance that I was looking for. The book is told through the eyes of Hudson, a former competitive ice skater who helps her single-mom with her diner, and still blames herself for her parents' divorce. Hudson gave up skating, but then she is approached by one of the players on the hockey team to teach the terrible team how to skate. This book was exactly what I needed, and I ended up liking Ockler's writing so much that I've read a few of her other books. There is a little bit of a love triangle in it, which is common in YA, and is something that annoys me, but I think it's pretty obvious whom she will end up with in the end. 

I don't have a lot of books recommendations for books about sports, so feel free to leave me your suggestions in the comments!

Happy Reads Everyone!