Thursday, July 3, 2014

Tired of Dystopia? Try These Mythology Books Instead!




Here is part two of my Tired of Dystopia? weekly blog. This week I'll be giving my recommendations for books that are based on mythology.

I am a huge fan of mythology ever since they made us do "Greek Week" in the seventh grade, and I had to read Edith Hamilton's Mythology book prior to AP Lit my senior year of high school. 

I also want my readers to keep in mind that the below books are all ones I have previously read and enjoyed, and I hope you will too. As always feel free to leave me a comment with any of your suggestions for additions to be added to this list!

Avalon High By Meg Cabot

If you've been reading my blog since the beginning, it should not come as a shock to you that this book is on my list. Especially since I blogged about the three-part graphic novels that follow this book. This book is loosely about mythology because it is about a girl name Elle who has to convince her crush that he is the reincarnation of King Arthur. You know, the one with the round table. I loved this book when I read it back in high school, that I read it twice. If you're not too keen on all the greek mythology currently out there, I highly suggest this book as it's equal parts contemporary and fantasy. 


Oh.My.Gods Series by Tera Lynn Childs

I liked Childs' novel about track star Phoebe, one because I would read it on the elliptical and run faster, and two because her novel focused on a different greek god than most currently on the market. Phoebe comes home to find that her mother is getting married to a Greek man and they are moving to his home country, where she is enrolled in a prestigious Academy. The kicker is, that everyone in the school is a descendant of a greek god, but Phoebe thinks it's all B.S. We don't find out which god Phoebe is a descendent of until the end of the novel, so I don't want to give it away, but it was pretty predictable. Childs wrote a few novellas and short stories as well as a sequel to the novel. Goddess Boot Camp focuses on Phoebe trying to harness and control the powers she has discovered. I thought it was a decent sequel, but I don't think Childs is planning on writing any more full length novels for the series. As far as I currently know.

More of my recommendations are after the jump.


                 
                                              

The Abandon Series by Meg Cabot

Don't act like you are surprised that Meg is on this list again! Bow down to the Queen, because home girl has written a lot of books! Abandon tells the story of Pierce Oliviera's afterlife, or rather how she escaped the underworld and came back to life. She'll see the repercussions of what she unleashes on the world when she cheats death. Pierce's story is another Persephone re-imagining series and I think that Cabot does a good job of changing up the narrative. 


                   
                   

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel Series By Michael Scott

Irish author Scott unravels the myth of Nicholas Flamel in a six-part book series that starts with The Alchemyst. Flamel and his immortal wife Perenelle hold the secret to eternal life, but there are strong forces that wish to control that power for evil. The couple ask for help from their employees-- twins Sophie and Josh Newman. The four of them are engulfed in a wild tale full of adventure and mythic creatures. I was pleasantly surprised by this book series. I didn't know that Nicholas Flamel was a real person until I came upon this book. I like to consider this another mythology retelling, but it also falls under the magical fantasy genre. 


                   
                                        

The Goddess Test Series by Aimée Carter

For some reason there were a lot of Persephone myth retellings a few years back. So if you weren't that into Meg Cabot's version, give Aimee Carter's a chance. Carter paints the story of Kate whose mother is dying and when she meets a Henry, who claims he is the God of The Underworld, she strikes a deal with him to keep her mother alive. I think I still like Cabot's series better, but I think I'm biased for anything Cabot; however I did really enjoy this story. I think some of the key themes in it are that people are not who they seem and you need to be careful whom you place your trust in. 


 

Percy Jackson & The Olympians Series & The Heroes of Olympus Series by Rick Riordan

Like I wasn't going to put the King of Mythology on this list! I saved him for last. If you haven't heard of Percy Jackson yet, go get The Lightning Thief right now! Riordan's novels are juvenile fiction, but like Harry Potter, I think adults can enjoy them as well. I didn't pick up this book until college and I loved it! The first series is set in Percy's perspective as strange things begin to happen to him until he learns that he is a demi-god, and is sent to Camp Half Blood. Can you guess which God is his father? I think it was relatively obvious in the first book, but I don't want to give it away for those who don't know!

The Heroes of Olympus series sort of pickups where the last Percy Jackson book left off, but instead of getting only Percy's perspective, we get everyone's. I love authors that can write multiple points of view and do it really well, and Riordan is one of them. We see a lot of new and diverse characters in this new series, which made me love it immediately. Riordan also does something interesting by bringing in the Roman versions of the Greek Gods and explaining how that works. 

I said Riordan is the King of Mythology, because he really is. He also has an Egyptian god series called the Kane Chronicles (which I have yet to read), and he has said that he has something about Norse Mythology in the works. I don't know about you, but I'm all about it!

Leave me a comment below with your suggestions for more Mythology books (preferably not anymore Persephone myths) and I'll add it to the list!

Happy Reads Everyone!