Thursday, July 31, 2014

Tired of Dystopia? Try These Ghost Stories Instead!

I've been doing these Tired of Dystopia posts for a few weeks now, but I only have a few more categories left. So if you have any other ideas, feel free to leave me some suggestions.

This week I'm recommending some ghost/paranormal books.


The Mediator Series By Meg Cabot

Duh, this is Meg Cabot, of course this series is on here. The Mediator Series tells the story of Suze who moves with her family to California and discovers there is a ghost living in her bedroom, but she's the only one that can see him, and he's really hot. Suze is pretty much like the Ghost Whisperer, since she can communicate with the dead and help them move on. The series might be a little dated, and it can be a little campy, but I loved it when I was a teen. Cabot is also going to do another book for this series with Suze older as an adult book, so I'm pretty excited about that. 


The Secret Life of Sparrow Delaney By Suzanne Harper

Sparrow Delaney's story is very similar to Suze's, they both can see and interact with ghosts, but have a hard time coping with it. Sparrow comes from a long line of mediums so she is expected to be able to communicate with the dead, but she doesn't let her family know that. Sparrow's story is not just about helping a ghost who begins to haunt her, but it's also about learning that it's okay to be different. I was really hoping that Suzanne Harper would make a series out of this, because I wanted more of Sparrow helping ghosts, but I think it's decent standalone novel. 



Billie's Ghost by Chad Hautmann

Billie's Ghost was one of those rare finds that I picked up by accident, but I ended up loving it. I don't think it's that well known of a book, because there aren't even any written reviews of it over on Good Reads. Casey is depressed and drinking heavily over the death of wife. His life turns to the paranormal when a woman who calls herself Eleanora shows up in his life and she is the spitting image of Billie Holiday. This is an adult novel, so it deals with different themes than the other books on this list, but I think it's good to get out of your reading comfort level every once in a while. 


The Lovely Bones By Alice Sebold

I remember when The Lovely Bones first came out. I was in the seventh grade and everyone was about it, but I was more interested in reading the Star Wars Expanded Universe, so I didn't read this novel until college. Unlike the other books on my list, this one is told in the perspective of the ghost. Susie Salmon resides in heaven coping with her death and watching her family grieve. On Good Reads this book seems to get a lot of hate, but I liked the interesting take it had on the afterlife.


Shades of London Series By Maureen Johnson

I had read my fair share of Maureen Johnson by the time I picked up The Name Of The Star, and it was not what I was expecting. This one is about American Rory moving to a London boarding school and while she is there a series of murders mimicking Jack The Ripper start to occur. Okay, everyone loves the mystery that comes with The Ripper, so I was hooked. I don't want to give much away, but yes this book does have to do with ghosts and seeing them. I've only read the first one in this three-part series, but I highly recommend it.

Honorable Mention:

Anna Dressed In Blood By Kendare Blake

This book has been on my TBR list for some time, but I still have yet to read it. My book club is planning to read it...eventually, probably around Halloween time. Anna Dressed In Blood seems like a traditional ghost story. Cas kills ghosts, Anna is a ghost that kills people. The reviews on this one seem mixed, but once I finally read it we'll see if this gets added to my list permanently. 

As always, if you have any suggestions for more recommendations feel free to leave them in the comments below.

Happy Reads, Everyone!