Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Tired of Dystopia? Try These Faerie Books Instead!

So here we come to Part 3 of my Tired of Dystopia series! So this week I'm talking Faery books. (No seriously does anyone actually know how to spell Faery? Is it fairy? or Faery? Or Faerie? I'll stick with Faerie per Holly Black.)


Modern Faerie Tale Series By Holly Black
Let me first warn you about this book series--you either love it or hate it, there is no in between. I am of the camp that loved this series. The first book in the series Tithe is about a girl named Kaye who discovers she is a Faerie and gets entrenched into the politics and war of the Faerie Kingdom. I really liked this book, what I liked even more was that the second book isn't even about Kaye at all. The characters you meet in the second book intersect with Kaye's story in the final book of the series, and I really like the way that Black weaves the tale this way. Tithe was also the first book about Faeries I ever read, and it made me to seek out Black's other work.


Tiger Lily By Jodi Lynn Anderson

Tiger Lily is technically a "faery book" since the story is told in Tinker Bell's perspective. The book is a retelling of the Peter Pan story, and it is really about the relationship between Tiger Lily and Pan. Be forewarned, you won't get the ending you want from this book, but Anderson's writing is so eloquent it makes up for it. I honestly wasn't sure what to expect from this book, so I was surprised at how easily I fell in love with the writing.



The Iron Fey Series By Julie Kagawa

Okay, so like Tithe, The Iron Fey Series has a lot of mixed reviews. I personally really enjoyed it, and if you want a story that is straight up about crazy faeries running around pick this one up. The Iron Fey starts with The Iron King and introduces us to Meghan Chase whom has never really fit in since her father disappeared when she was a kid. I had my own issues with the series, because I didn't think her father was going to be who he was in the end and I really don't like love triangles, but I did enjoy reading it. Kagawa actually brings in the character of Puck from Shakespeare's A Midsummer's Night Dream, and I thought that was something cool and interesting to include in the series. Kagawa is currently writing a spin-off series that is in Meghan's little brother's perspective, so I'm interested in seeing what she comes up with in the new books. 


So I don't have a lot of Faery books, but that is probably because two of my recommendations are series with three books or more. I do have Wings by Aprilynne Pike on my TBR list, so that might eventually get added. As always feel free to leave me any comments with your recommendations.

Happy Reads Everyone!