Sunday, July 6, 2014

Dear Luke, We Need to talk. Darth: Book Review


I wrote before about how I was going to start doing honest reviews for Blogging For Books, and I finally finished reading the first book that I requested. I have been reading a lot of dystopia novels, and i have been trying to get away from that, so the first book I chose was John Moe's Dear Luke, We Need to talk. Dad. The book seemed like a straight pop culture humor book, and was something easy I needed to read in-between other books.

I read a few of the reviews and they appear mixed. Some people thought the book was not funny, and others really loved it. To be honest, I thought the book was just okay. Some of the "letters" I thought were not funny, and some of this had to do with the fact that due to my age they went over my head. 

However, there were a few I generally enjoyed. A few that I enjoyed were the Welp Reviews, Excerpts from Horovitz v. Horovitz (2013) regarding the right to party, Captain James T. Kirk's lost log entries, and the e-mail from Fox Mulder to Dana Scully concerning the lost X-Files. These were pop-culture references that I understood and could laugh easily at. A few of the other ones I just didn't understand. I think that the repetitive timeline of rejected Super Bowl Half-Time Show Proposals were not funny and actually hindered this book. 

Even though parts of the books were not funny, this was light-hearted easy read, so I did ultimately enjoy it. 

*I received this book for free from Blogging for Books in exchange for an honest review. More information about the book can be found here. Author info is available here.

Happy Reads Everyone!