Wednesday, June 4, 2014

So How Many Books Will George R.R. Martin REALLY Write?


It took me six months to read all five books of A Song of Ice and Fire Saga. It was rewarding, as those books are a challenge. George R.R. Martin not only paints a great political struggle, but he has a way with multiple perspective that is just fantastic. Some readers complain that he is too descriptive, but I adore his attention to detail. So of course when I finished A Dance of Dragons, I just wanted to go out and get the Winds of Winter. Therein lies the problem.

Fans have been waiting, perhaps not-so-patiently, for the next installment of the series. But are there really only going to be seven books? According to Paste Magazine Martin's editor Anne Groell hinted that the author may need one more book to complete the saga.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Eight books? Yet we still haven't seen the 6th one? Look, as an author, I know the process of writing a book is a long and drawn out one. I cannot imagine what it takes to put out a book of the magnitude that Martin does. However, it's been quite some time since the last installment, so don't start telling me that another book is getting added to the to-be-written pile on Martin's desk.

So my anger aside, my other reaction to this news is, will Martin live long enough to finish this series? It's obviously a huge concern not only for the fans of the book series, but for the author himself. In case of his untimely death, Martin has already told the show's producers what he intends to happen to all of his characters. If that's not cause for concern for the book readers, I don't know what is.

I'm not sure what to believe, but I won't believe anything until I see the Winds of Winter on my bookshelf.

Happy Reads Everyone!